Empathy for Resilience
Empathy is understanding another’s emotion in relation to that of your own. Empathy assists resilience through developing strong supportive relationships. Understanding other people’s feelings / emotions / experiences is particularly helpful when people are experiencing tough times.
This will help young people understand
- Empathy requires an understanding that their emotions can differ to someone else’s
- Empathy is a skill that can be practiced
- Empathy is different to sympathy
Lesson/Session Outline (Empathy)
Activities have been designed to be stand alone or run in a sequence for a 50 min lesson/session. Templates are linked below for completing the activities.
- Buzz Activity: Four things! (10 mins)
- Brainstorm Emotions using the List of Emotions (10 mins)
- Other people’s emotions worksheet (25 mins)
- Exploring ReachOut.com (5 mins)
Tips for communicating
Caring for yourself while caring for others