ReachOut Parents has been developed to support the parents and carers of the young people you work with. Learn more about ReachOut Parents, how it can help young people and how you can use it in your work.
What is ReachOut Parents?
ReachOut Parents (a free online service) provides information, tools and resources to help parents and carers support the 12-18 year-olds in their family. It provides evidence-based practical support and tips that encourage effective communication and relationships between parents and young people.
Features of ReachOut Parents
ReachOut Parents provides a range of support for parents and carers including:
- fact sheets and information about adolescent mental health and wellbeing
- real stories from parents and teenagers
- practical tips and tools for supporting teenagers
- an online community forum where parents can talk to other parents about their experiences and work through their concerns in a safe, anonymous environment.
How ReachOut Parents can help young people
ReachOut Parents can help young people by supporting their parents and carers to:
- learn more about what their teenager might be experiencing or going through
- teach their teenagers how to seek help and work through issues independently
- learn about mental health issues that often have their onset during adolescence
- improve the wellbeing and resilience of their whole family.
The information available at ReachOut Parents is evidence-based and underpinned by evaluation and research. ReachOut Parents is not a counselling or crisis service.
Visit ReachOut Parents now
How to use ReachOut Parents in support work with young people
ReachOut Parents can help you support the young people you work with by providing information for their parents and carers. Use ReachOut Parents in your work to:
- Help build a support network for a young person. We know that young people often turn to parents and carers first when they’re in distress. ReachOut Parents can be used to equip their support network with information and tools that can help them when they need it most.
- Help whole families build resilience. ReachOut Parents can help parents and carers learn about mental health and wellbeing so they can teach their teenagers and family to be more resilient to life’s challenges.
- Provide a place for a parent or carer to seek support. It’s common that when a young person is need of support their family may need help as well. ReachOut Parents can be used as a referral option for parents who may want to learn more about what their teenager is going through or talk to other parents about their experiences in a safe and supportive way.
To refer a parent or carer to ReachOut Parents, share the relevant links with them or simply send them to ReachOut.com/parents so they can find the information they need.
You can also use our promotional toolkit with downloadable flyers, social media posts and FAQs to share with your local community.
How to use ReachOut Parents in schools
Parents and carers are an integral part of the school community. In fact, ARACY has identified that positive parental engagement can support student learning and improve academic achievement, wellbeing and productivity.
There are a range of ways that schools can utilise ReachOut Parents to support positive parental engagement including:
- sharing information and links from ReachOut Parents in school newsletters or at school events
- using ReachOut Parents to help discuss student progress at parent/teacher interviews
- integrating ReachOut Parents into school wellbeing initiatives
Find out how to use ReachOut Parents in your school and download the ReachOut Parents package for schools.